Monday 13 September 2010

Mummy knows best!

Cuddles with Daddy
Yesterday was Laila's blessing (like an Indian version of a Christening) at the Gurdwara, and did my girl make an entrance or what! My normally giggly Laila must have been overwhelmed by so many faces fussing, poking and peering at her as she cried and cried and cried! Meanwhile, in between the bursts of prodding, she returned to her usual disposition and had plenty of smiles for the camera...

I discovered that Gurdwaras aren't generally set up with baby facilities - feeding and changing wasn't easy! I'm not complaining though, I can't imagine life without my favourite accessory any more! Although Laila did seem oblivious to the beautiful shoes I'd bought her to match with her dress - after she kicked them off the fifth time, it was time for them to retreat into my Baby Bag...

Look! I can stand up!
This milestone reinforces the speed at which Laila seems to be growing up - I'm determined to breastfeed her for at least 6 months, but she's desperate to join everyone at the dinner table and tuck into solids... I've shared my Muller Corner vanilla yogurt with her for a couple of weeks now, as she seems to enjoy the taste and feels like she's eating with Mummy and Daddy; we feel so guilty when we're eating and she's staring longingly at us as the food goes into our mouths! I ordered a book about weaning today as there are apparently does and don'ts when it comes to foods which babies can digest and feeding some particular foods too early can cause allergies later on in life. If you follow the text books, it's quite a complex process to take a baby from milk onto solids but, if you listen to the rest of the family, it's as straightforward as "here, just give her some x/y/z!" Maybe I'm just used to a scientific approach of studying theory before I try something since, after all, that's what was always ingrained into us at University, or maybe there's just something inherently protective in being a Mummy... Either way, my motto is Mummy Knows Best!

Gimme gimme gimme!
House wise, Bobby's week off was as hectic as expected. The main achievement was the installation of our sound system (my ear drums have consequently been tested every evening, along with my patience!). I have to admit that the controller gadgets are funky though - it all links to the PC music library, as well as Napster over the Internet, so we can listen to whatever we want whenever we want - wicked! On the flipside, upon opening the packaging, we discovered that about 80% of our internal doors had been damaged, so they couldn't be hung as scheduled - that was a major downer. This quote struck a chord when I read it a few days ago, "striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralising". Does this mean we should lower our standards? Somehow, I don't think that's possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment